We are thrilled to announce we have a new team member in a newly created role at C4K. A warm welcome to our new Director of Operations, Colin Learmonth. Colin has been committed to our mission for many years, in fact, he served for 16 years on our Board of Directors. Colin will be leveraging his experience with small businesses and his familiarity with our organization to quickly bring clarity to day-to-day operations, improve efficiency, and free up time for greater focus on youth member success.
Colin will be driving our key operational and administrative functions to ensure we have a robust infrastructure to continue C4K’s success and impact. Colin will be will overseeing the day-to-day activities of the organization, ensuring that we are well managed, appropriately resourced, and performing efficiently and effectively.
For 20 years, Colin led Broadband Network Services Inc. as President and Chief Operating Officer. His broad experience working with large and small teams in Charlottesville and beyond positions him to step into our team and make immediate contributions.
Get to know Colin through these fun facts!
- Which is your Favorite app? I really like an app called Pocket. It lets me save things from websites and social media to read later. I don’t always have time to read them, but it’s nice to know they are there.
- Favorite place to take a visitor in Charlottesville? I like to bring friends and family visitors to Brazos and the Ix Art Park, especially if they have kids, and the weather is nice.
- What do you like most about Charlottesville? I grew up in college towns, so I’m very comfortable here. It has the right size and pace for me. It has great food, music, and sports. And, if we want to get out of the busyness, there are lots of great State Parks a short drive away.
- How did you start working with youth? Other than coaching (baseball, soccer), C4K is my first job working directly with youth. As my kids have been going through the school system, I’ve been seeing how different the students’ experiences can be….where there are advantages and challenges. The Director of Operations position allows me to work towards addressing those inequalities.
- How did you first get involved with C4K? I was helping form a local technology council around the same time C4K was starting up. Some of the people involved were also working with C4K, and they asked me to help with the early computer refurbishing effort. That led to a seat on the Board of Directors that lasted 16 years.
- What advice would you give to your teenage self? Read more!
- Favorite childhood television show? The Muppet Show. I am quite old.
- Where are you from? I was born in California and lived in Michigan for a bit but grew up and graduated from high school in Hanover, NH.
- Tell us a fun fact about you. I came back to Charlottesville in 1998 to work at my family’s Internet Service Provider, one of the first to serve the area. 28.8 kbps modems FTW!
- What did you want to be, “when you grew up?” I was always interested in construction growing up. I thought about being an Architect but ended up getting a degree in Civil Engineering. I ultimately did get to work in Construction Management after graduation while living in Boston, MA, for a few years.
- Dogs or cats? Dogs. Not in the “I’ll cross the street to pet your dog sense” (I’ve met many of these dog lovers with our Golden Retriever puppy) but definitely dogs over cats.
- Comfort food? Baked Ziti.
- The best part of working at C4K? That it brings together people from all across the community in a shared purpose to improve lives. And the office is close to tacos.